David Morawetz’s practice is devoted solely to litigation. David practices civil and commercial litigation with a focus on contract law; real estate disputes; construction law, including construction liens, breach of trust claims, and prompt payment adjudications; employment law; shareholder disputes; and appeal work. David works with clients to resolve disputes in a cost-efficient and effective manner.
David is intimately familiar with the litigation process. From client intake to trial and appeal, and all steps in between, David is able to effectively advise clients as to the best route to take to resolve legal issues, be it by way of negotiated settlement or trial.
Advocacy is a passion for David. He has appeared at all levels of courts in Ontario, including a precedent-setting case before the Court of Appeal for Ontario relating to a standard “illegal substances” clause used in most residential real estate contracts in Ontario.
In 2008, David graduated from Queen’s University with an Honours Bachelor of Arts in History. He received his LL.B. from the University of Leicester School of Law in 2011, and his J.D. from the University of Toronto Faculty of Law in 2013. While at law school, David competed in the Frank Callaghan Memorial Moot. Prior to Lo Faso & Morawetz, David practised at a mid-size firm in downtown Toronto well known for construction law and civil litigation.
Representative Legal Matters:
- Zadeh v Khaibari, 2019 ONCA 253 - Appeal from an application declaring a real estate deposit forfeited.
- Di Martino v. Montana, 2018 ONSC 6964 – Summary judgment concerning a loan agreement.
- Galsan Holdings Inc. v. Davalnat Holdings Inc., 2018 ONSC 3600 - Partition and sale application.
- Beatty v. Wei, 2018 ONCA 479 – Real estate dispute regarding a former marijuana grow-op.
- Airex Inc. v. Ben Air System Inc., 2017 ONCA 390 - Appeal from a summary judgment motion for breach of trust under the Construction Act.
- Sirro Brothers Cement Finishing & Spray Ltd. v. Somerset Wallace Developments Limited, 2017 ONSC 3762 - Appeal from a production order in a breach of trust claim.
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Innovation Committee Member
- York Region Law Association
Personal Interests:David enjoys cooking, travelling, white water rafting, curling, and a wee drop of single malt.